The Diploma is an exciting new qualification for 14 to 19 year olds, available in England, offering young people more practical, hands-on experience as well as classroom learning. They are designed to help young people develop the knowledge and skills employers and universities look for and progress more effectively into employment, training and further or higher education.
The Diploma is flexible, so students can combine it with GCSEs and A levels. Young people studying for Diplomas will do so along with any compulsory subjects - for example, English, Mathematics, Science and Physical Education in years 10 and 11.
All Diplomas will require individuals to achieve a minimum standard in English, Mathematics and Information Communication Technology (ICT), complete a project and do a minimum of 10 days' work experience.
The Diploma provides young people with:
- a combination of the essential skills and knowledge that employers and higher education look for such as teamwork and self-management skills
- opportunities to experience learning in different environments such as school, college and the workplace with an emphasis on practical activities
- a high-quality qualification that will be valued by both by industry and education
- flexibility and choice with options to pursue your interests, whether this is further study or a job
- an insight into what work is really like and an insight into your chosen sector will help to make decisions about the future while keeping your career options open
- provide schools, colleges and training the opportunity to strengthen relationships with local industry
- provide opportunities for closer working between schools, colleges, training providers and higher education