The Water Industry Skills Steering Group (WISSG) of water company and contractor employers will work collaboratively to formulate skills strategy and drive a programme of key projects to ensure sustainable skills competence in the Water Industry.
- To formulate a skills strategy and drive a programme of research, qualification development and other initiatives required to support the training and skills agenda within the UK water industry in accordance with the Skills Provision Cycle.
- To support the collation and analysis of strategic sector intelligence to inform the identification and prioritisation of skills needs.
- To work collaboratively with enablers (including EU Skills, training providers, accreditation bodies and Higher Education) to promote best practice, achieve tangible benefits and maximise efficiencies and return on investment.
- To establish communications with stakeholders and ensure industry mandate for the programme.
- To monitor progress against the programme and recommend changes in priority or resources to ensure completion of the programme.
- To ensure mechanisms are in place for monitoring skills provision against quality standards.
Members of WISSG must be representatives of Water UK Companies, their contractors or employee groups.
Responsibilities of Membership
- To fairly and accurately reflect the views and opinions of the organisations they represent.
- To set up and maintain effective communication channels within the organisation they represent.
- To declare any conflict of interests.
- To actively support the skills programme
- Delivery against programme
- Support for the programme by member companies reflected by both financial and human resources needed to achieve the programme.
- Industry usage of standards, qualifications or other skills mechanisms.
- Endorsement of programme (or projects) by government and regulatory bodies.
- Securing of funding support to the industry from workforce development agencies and others.
Meetings of WISSG are quarterly or as required to meet the accountabilities of the group.
> Water Industry Skills Steering Group Terms of Reference (updated 3 March 2011)
If you have any questions or would like further information about the Water Industry Skills Steering Group please contact: