- The SMB aspect of the Standard Setting Body is deemed to be the Scheme Owner for the Nationally Accredited Certification Scheme for Individual Gas Fitting Operatives (ACS) and the Scheme Owner of IGEM/IG/1 (Standards of training in gas work)
- Current Standing members: Independent chair, Standard Setting Body provider, Energy & Utility Skills, Plumbing & Heating Skills Partnership, Gas Safe Register, Awarding Organisations, Chair of the Standards Consultation Forum (SCF) involved in the provision of “Routes to Gas Safe registration”.
- The HSE, HSENI, IGEM/IG/1 Authoriser of training and UKAS, have a standing invitation to attend all meetings as observers. This list can be subject to change by the SMB.
- The SMB ensures the interests of all groups are dealt in a fair and equitable manner, without any interest dominating. Decisions are made based on a majority decision of the standing members.
The aims of the Strategic Management Board are:
- To ensure that the mechanisms and processes established for the production, maintenance and implementation of competence standard criteria, follow due process
- Issues relating to the development and implementation of competence requirements on “matters of gas safety” for the purposes of Registration of businesses with Gas Safe Register under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 and other relevant legislation
- To act as the highest authority (as delegated by the HSE) in respect of these matters by ratifying all decisions made by the Standards Consultation Forum to ensure due process has been followed
- To act as the Scheme Committee for the Nationally Accredited Certification Scheme for Individual Gas Operatives as required by the Standard BS/EN/ISO/IEC